Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Day 11 Ramadan 2017

Ramadan Kareem,

I went to bed last night with a bit of a headache and woke up this morning with a bit of a headache.  This scared me.  During Ramadan fasting, dehydration---especially in the hot summer months---is all too easy.  While it is possible to break your fast in an emergency, it is not something done lightly.  



I don't know what happened to the time!  All I was doing was cutting apples and peeling cucumbers and all of a sudden it was 2:40!  Twenty minutes fly by all the time in our daily lives, but those precious moment before the fast are really important.  I had to wake up El Kid and get him to start drinking.  It was going up to 109 F.

My hub was already awake.  He had actually GONE TO SLEEP AT 10:30 PM which must have been caused by a small seismic shift in his tectonic plates.  For days, after he had stayed up late with his family, he had not been on a good schedule.  He had to admit that he had not been feeling good since then.  

The only problem with Ahmed going to bed early was that he hadn't bought foul medamnes.  When El Kid woke up and saw the apple slices, peach slices and a cucumber, he pitched a fit.  He was very nervous about his BIG math exam and had expected the beans' protein to keep him thinking clearly through the exam.  

I made a smoothie of mango nectar and plain yogurt and that seemed to settle him down.  It's hard.  It truly is hard to fast.  Not every day is easy, or a day that you actually want to fast.

Knowing that today was El Kid's big exam and knowing that it was going up to 43 C, it did briefly cross my mind to fold.  Maybe it was foolish to fast.  Nobody (except my husband) would fault me. 

What to do?!

The answer had to come quickly and it did:  keep going!  

At suhour, keep drinking!  This is especially important on a hot day.



We prayed together and El Kid was still a little grumpy.

Who are you this Ramadan?  Grump?  Happy?  Sleepy?

My husband had a brief talk to him about pulling himself together.  It's not enough to simply fast; it's best to have an agreeable attitude as well.  I can't be that adviser for my son the way my husband can.  I truly do appreciate my hub stepping in and getting involved in the raising of El Kid.  While my boy is not his son, El Kid has been under his roof for seven years, and not many Egyptian men could have handled that.

I went back to bed and had the WEIRDEST dream.  U.S. agents were hunting for terrorists.  My kid's dad, X2 was there with a woman in a bathing suit.  I was mixing up his name with my husband's (which of course I never do).  The school needed those exam papers graded A.S.A.P. and I just discovered that I had them.  I woke up happy to be in reality---even if my day was going to be the hottest day yet in Ramadan.  Alhudulillah, my headache was gone, so I must have hydrated myself enough.


Time to go to school!  

The school has been on a shortened schedule since revision week.  Instead of 3:30, we leave at 1:45.  Any time someone complains, I remind them how BLESSED they are for having a 6-hour day instead of a 8 hours.  Today, it got even better:  it was announced that we could leave at 12:30!

Alhumdulillah, El Kid survived the exam and thinks that he might have actually passed.  Ya Rab!  I was proud of him, and I felt good that some of what we studied was on the exam.  I had helped him.  My busy single mom had never helped me study when I was young, so I wanted to be different as a mom.  It paid off today.

Tomorrow, El Kid doesn't have to go any exams.  Exam week has been elongated into two weeks, so the students have a day at school and a day off.  They come for exams and are done  by 1:45.  This has really helped the students and I feel once again that it is right for us to be living in Egypt.  Schools in the U.S. would not have made any adjustments.

Another time that felt good was catching a co-worker who hadn't been talking to me and taking a moment to reconnect.  A hug and heartfelt wishes for Ramadan really lightened my mood.  Making amends, reaching out, and reconnecting is a part of the month.  Alhumdulillah.

El Kid got to spend some time with his friends before we went home.


Once home, I made a pasta salad to mix with the marinated veggies from the other day.  I had a feeling that my hub would NOT eat it because he had left over mashy.

I slept once the salad was done and woke in time to see my show.  It's a British re-run being shown by Kuwait right after they break their fast.  When we turn in a little too early, we catch the firing of the cannons to announce that fasting for the day is done.  What I like is seeing the live call to prayer---it's especially meaningful knowing that the man calling it has not yet broken his fast as he announces for others to break theirs.

When it was almost time for us to break our fast, I started dishing up food in the kitchen.  That's when El Kid walked in, got in my way several times as he sung an inappropriate lyric.  I got all kinds of crabby just then.  It's hard to feel that the fast is almost done and get your patience tested.  



As we broke our fast, El Kid handed me my water.  I gave him a big hug.  Honestly,  children are the most precious annoyances you'll ever have.

We prayed as an amazing breeze blew in.  Allah is The Most Merciful.


As I guessed it, my hub didn't eat the pasta.  Oh well.

He made malabiya, a kind of milky pudding, so he's forgiven.


I haven't read it today, but inshahallah I will before sleep.  

No comments: