Friday, June 9, 2017

Day 13 Ramadan 2017

Ramadan Kareem,

I know it's going to sound silly, but I LOVE products with Ramadan tie-ins.  Ramadan is not supposed to be commercial, and as someone who once fought against the commercialism of Christmas, I'm all for that.  On the other hand, it's nice to see big companies acknowledge that there's a world of fasting Muslims out there.

Unless you can't tell, ammar el deen is apricot nectar and a staple in many Muslim households during Ramadan.  This is only the Tang drink, but the real deal is dynamite at curing dehydration.

These chocolate bar boxes are some of my favorite tie-ins with Ramadan.  You can't totally tell, but the boxes, once emptied of sweets, become fanoos, the decorative lanterns.  This reminds me that I have two stashed away from a couple of years ago.  I'm not much on decorating because we only have to take it down later.  However, with school winding down, I hope to do a little more connecting to the season.



We ate our foul medamnes, cheese, bread (although I ate these yummy barley crackers), cucumber, and apples.  We drank yogurt smoothies with the Tang apricot drink.



I couldn't sleep right away.  The anxiety of proctoring was bothering me.  Eventually, I got an hour and a half before I had to wake.


Off to school and more exams.  The funny thing is that we ended up studying for Computing when El Kid's exam was in Arabic!  That's a big oops.  "Ramadan brain" is real.  Since he is in the intensive/Non-Native speaker Arabic, it was only nine questions which I'm pretty sure he handled fine.  He does very well at that level of Arabic alhumdulillah.  


I had a VERY LONG stint of proctoring.  It mostly went well, alhumdulillah.  The best part about it is that (inshahallah) I will never have to proctor again at my current school.  That was my last proctoring duty subhanallah.  Many moments reminded me who I am and why I am leaving.

During my time at school, one of my co-workers stopped to ask me if I was leaving.  The word is getting around.  She was truly hoping for my happiness which is an amazingly good feeling.  She told me that she would miss me because she always felt how genuine I was.  That deserved a hug!  Wow.  I wish that we would walk around this earth with that amount of kindness for everyone BEFORE they leave us.  Maybe we humans aren't able to handle that level of love.  Makes me want to keep leaving again and again just to get that feeling on loop.


Made it home through the OPPRESSIVE heat.  It has really been close to unbearable, yet I know that we have been blessed with AC at school and on the bus, and a home with fans.  I can only imagine how much hurting is going on for those who have less.  


After my duhr prayer was done, El Kid made a comment about how looooooooooong it took me.  I had stayed down in sujud my forehead to the prayer rug, longer than usual. "Why?" he asked.  I told him that I was feeling thankful for all the proctoring days I've spent these past five years:  Thankful that I made it through.  Thankful for times of being helpful; caring and protecting.  VERY thankful to be done with the responsibility and the headache.  

One of the ways I'd cope with the hours of testing was by making dhikr remembrance of Allah.  Most people are used to seeing Muslims with prayer beads and praising and thanking God this way.  

While it is not allowed to bring prayer beads into any secular school, they aren't actually needed.  Each finger has three joints.  Touch each joint while remembering Allah and this will add up easily to 33.  I used to use both hands, but then read that it should only be the right hand.  Now, I count the times off on on my right hand by going through in two rounds.

I seriously made a LOT of dhikr during those proctoring sessions!

When I prayed duhr, it was very freeing to thank God for an end to that time.  I am imagining how I want to leave the school.  It's tempting for anyone leaving a workplace to think of telling them off or setting them straight.  In the end, I want to be grateful.

That school gave me a job and El Kid a classroom when we both needed it the most.  Alhumdulillah for what we were given.  May Allah accept our efforts to make ourselves and our world better.  May Allah forgive whatever was done poorly or left undone.

One week to go! 



All of us were parched from the heat.  We all gulped some water, some juice, and then some more water and juice.


We had camel meat, rice, and okra.  I also ate the leftover salad.  I love cold salad and hot rice together.  Don't know why!

Camel meat, for those of you who haven't eaten it (and none of the upper class Egyptians claim to have eaten it) is tough if not cooked at extremely high temperatures.  My husband, mashahallah, knows how to cook it, so it is tender.  It seems really healthy; there's no fat intertwined with the meat.  The meat fiber is smaller than beef and does get stuck in my teeth more easily.  I like the flavor.  It's not strong, i.e., the meat doesn't remind you of the stinky animal.  For some, I bet it would be hard to get over the idea of eating Joe Camel, but I'm over it.  Protein has to be had somehow!

One side note:  eating camel meat breaks your wudu!  After eating it, Muslims have to wash up again in order to pray.

Later, we also had cherry jelly/jello and what was supposed to be chocolate whipped cream, but ended up being like ice cream.  My hub had been sleeping while I was trying to whip it up after school and he came out to tell me, "BAS! KHAFIYA!"  which means that I had made enough noise and I should stop.  I did, but the whipped cream didn't ever do its thing.  Still, it was delicious and cold, so no big deal.   



We were so tired.  After my hub got home from taraweah, El Kid and I went to sleep right away.  The heat was still claiming us.  Tomorrow is supposed to cool down inshahallah, AND it's the weekend!     

No comments: