Friday, June 16, 2017

Day 21 Ramadan 2017



Ramadan Kareem,



One of the wacky mind switches you have to do in Islam is the concept of when the new day starts.

Midnight?

Sunrise?

Nope, it starts at magrib, or dusk.  When we are breaking the fast is the start to a new day.  We therefore had the first night of the Layla Tul Qadr or Night of Power prayers last night.  They take place the final ten days on the odd nights since we don't know for sure the day in Ramadan the Holy Quran was delivered.  We do know that it was an odd night.  Hence, the 21, 23, 25, 27 and 29 are the possible days of power in your prayer.  The mosque here was broadcasting the prayer very late.

SUHOUR

2:40

Foul medamnes and some of last nights veggies, followed by yogurt, raisins and a Nutrigrain bar.

The only unappetizing thing at the table was my hub; he had all his hair shaved off late last night.  He knows I hate that look, but he hates his gray hair more!  I tell him that when he's bald it makes him look like an escapee from the insane asylum.   

FAJR

3:07

It was only El Kid and I praying together as my hub was MIA after suhour.  I really can't keep my son awake too long after suhour so it was important to have him pray and sleep.

QURAN

It felt so good to be able to read some Quran again.  I finished Al Ma'idah which is Surah 5.  Sure, I could focus on the 109 left unread, but that's not helpful.

I slept all the way until after 7:30.  I know that doesn't seem like very much, but to me it's crazy good.  Another plus is that I didn't have to do any laundry for the week coming up.  I mean, I do have some dirty clothes, but I've been doing them little by little through the week and there's no pressure to have a clean uniform by Sunday.

I spent time on the computer working on an old post Before and After Hijab.  Take a look if you get a chance.  A lot of the photos I had used before had broken links, so I fixed those and improved the list.

DUHR

11:55

Being Friday, it was jammah prayer.  My hub was ready to go with his baseball cap covering his now bald head.  El Kid was trying to negotiate a way to make up all his missed Fridays at the mosque.  I didn't give him a way out.

"That's too much," he complained.  "It's Ramdan!  I'm fasting!"

"Dude," I laughed, " that's when Muslim men make sure to go!"

In the end, he went and when he came back, he was none the worse for wear.

I prayed eventually.  I kept trying to finish my blog improvement project.  That's one of my downfalls:  I do wait too long to pray.  I very rarely miss a prayer, alhumdulillah.  What I do though is make the prayer an emergency situation rather than peaceful process.  

I was going to sleep some more, but instead I showered.  

ASR

3:31

I had tried to listen to more Quran on my Quran Reading app.  Found out that the file for Surah 6 had been deleted or poofed away.  Don't know which.  Anyway, I thought I had to download 30 mbs and started the sloooooooooow process (there's something wrong with the wi-fi this month).  About an hour and 25% later, I realized that I had been smart---well, I had been stupid and THEN I'd been smart.  I found that I'd backed up the Quran files on my computer.  Yaaay, Yosra!

If you are ever going to get a similar app, I would so recommend backing up the app's mp3 files on your computer.

All of a sudden, time had gotten away from me---without even watching any TV!  I realized that I had to call my mom.  We spoke for 27 minutes before the call cut.  We talked over the end of the school year and the end of an era, along with the new beginning.  It was good to hear her reactions.  She remains my touchstone to reality in many ways.

Off the phone, I had to get some of the food and drink together.  That meant that my bald bad guy and I had to do-si-do back and forth in our narrow space with chicken frying on the stove.  At one point, he lost his temper and left to cool off in the salon. You know what they say:  if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

MAGRIB

6:57

El Kid had been chatting with his big sister in the US and he neglected to get ready for breaking the fast and praying.  He had to run around to make wudu and almost missed the first rakha.  

IFTAR

We ate chicken, rice, and green beans.  I like having something to dip the chicken into and we were out of mustard, so no honey mustard.  I tried the apricot jam (so successful with the sambusas), but added a little apple cider vinegar in order to make a sweet and sour taste.  Even if the guys didn't want any left over salad, I gladly ate it up.  I'm always the last one at the table as they seem to be having an eating contest.  

El Kid cruises on to dessert requests while I'm still finishing up.  Since he's new to fasting, it takes some convincing that his body needs time to absorb the sugars especially.  To him, he doesn't see rice or potatoes as a simple carbohydrate.  Too much sugar means a quick coma.  Alhumdulillah, he waited those twenty minutes that I asked for.

ISHA

8:30

My hub---or the bald guy that resembles my hub from the eyebrows down---went to the mosque.  El Kid resumed his chat.  I drank some coffee.  

I'm not running around today and that feels so GOOD.  We're not worried about exams, laundry, or shopping.  Sure, there are tasks that must be done, but I don't think many of them are getting done this weekend.  We deserve this break.

No comments: